The Christmas tree: We always had a real tree growing up and Jeff and I continued this tradition up until a few years ago. I love walking through the woods looking for the perfect Christmas tree - but they are much more work. So - not only do we have a fake tree now - it is even pre-lit - it is wonderful! One of my favorite ornaments that I still have from when I was little is one that I made in sunday school. Here is a picture of it:
Presents: My favorite Christmas present was my Cabbage Patch Doll that I got when I was in 3rd grade. My wonderful grandparents risked life and limb to get one for me! I was so excited when I woke up Christmas morning and saw the box with the slightly slanted front and I knew it was my Cabbage Patch Doll!!! The other thing I must mention about presents - my brother and I were terrible because the minute my parents would leave the house - we would begin searching everywhere to find our Christmas presents! My parents thought we were so great at guessing what we were getting - but it was because we were such good hunters (or my mom wasn't so good at hiding things!). I must say - I did not find my Cabbage Patch Doll prior to Christmas morning - it really was a surprise!
Traditions: We started a new family tradition the year that Elyse was born. I wanted to do something "giving" during this season when it is so easy to focus on what we want. So - even though Elyse didn't know what was going on (she was only 3 months old) - I took her shopping for Toys for Tots. This has been our yearly tradition ever since. We took the kids shopping Thursday night and filled a cart full of fun toys. The kids each picked out a toy to put in the Toys for Tots box at the store and the rest of the toys Jeff took to school to add to the school's Toys for Tots collection. I hope this is a tradition that we keep for many years to come and that it is something that will help the kids think of others during the Christmas season.
We are so blessed and have much to be thankful for during this time of year - friends, family, food to eat, a warm house and most of all the gift of Baby Jesus! May He fill your hearts and homes with his love this Christmas season!
I love the Toys for Tots idea. It's great that you have Elyse and Andrew help. :)
ReplyDeleteSarah